Today my wallet was stolen. It was snatched out of my purse, and the thief ran off with it before anyone could stop him. Forty minutes later, he was in another city, so the chances of getting anything back are slim to none. Besides having a large amount of cash and cards with preloaded value, there were a number of important receipts for work-related purchases for which I now cannot be reimbursed. Overall, my losses total at least 400 dollars. That is a lot of money for a student living in a city where cost of living is high.
In order to try to ease my financial situation, I am selling the following services. All prices are open to negotiation, depending on what someone can afford.
- I can edit your papers. I am currently a PhD student at a Tier I research university, and I will be teaching reading and composition classes soon. I can edit for spelling, grammar, and style ($0.15 per page), give basic feedback on content and organization ($0.25 per page), or give an in-depth breakdown of your paper in full grading mode ($1.00 per page). I can read papers in English, Spanish, or French. I can also help you with research.
- I can translate any Spanish, French, Latin, or Middle Welsh text you like into English. $0.50 per 100 words for Spanish and French translations, $1.00 per 100 words for Latin translations, prices negotiable for Old French and Middle Welsh translations depending on the text (lots of awesome Arthurian literature, guys!). If you just need the gist of something, I can also read and summarize it for you. Discount for translating fanfic, and an even steeper discount for translating fanfic that I like!
- I can help you learn any of the above languages, plus I have some reading knowledge of ancient (Attic) Greek, Russian, and German. I can make study guides for you, I can write self-teaching tutorials and lessons, and I can re-synthesize or explain any concepts you don’t understand. Grammar is my real strength. I have some training in Indo-European linguistics, so chances are I can help clarify a confusing concept, give you tips on how to learn and remember it, and perhaps even explain to you why the language is the way it is. I also have access to a lot of language learning resources that I can make available to you for free if you choose to do this. For $10.00/month, I will make myself available to you for homework or grammar help; send me what you need help on and I will get back to you within 24 hours, often less. We can even chat or talk on the phone if I have the time. Prices negotiable for study guides and tutorials, depending on what is requested.
- I can be a conversation partner for people wanting to practice their Mandarin. I am a heritage speaker of the language. $5.00 per hour.
- I can give you help and advice in applying to graduate school in the humanities, especially in literature. This could include giving you feedback on a writing sample or a statement of purpose. Prices negotiable.
- I can scan copies of out-of-print and/or hard to access books for you. This is perfectly legal if done for educational purposes. I am selling you the scanning service, not the book. Of course, this is subject to my being able to find what you need, but I have access to a lot of materials in my university’s huge collections, so chances are pretty good. $0.05 per page.
- I can do a few styles of Western calligraphy (think medieval manuscripts!). I can write out your name, a favorite quote, even a poem or a page from a book. I could even attempt an semi-authentic medieval-style manuscript page. A rough estimate would be $0.10/word, although the price would be higher for more difficult styles and for more elaborate manuscript work.
- I can compose music; here is a sample of my work. Prices negotiable depending on the nature of the commission. Note that I can only offer you a performed recording of piano music; compositions involving other instruments will be done electronically.
I would be grateful for any help you can offer. If there’s nothing here that appeals or you can’t contribute, a signal boost would be deeply appreciated.
Honestly just kind of reblogging because in addition to it being a general nice thing to do… holy fuck this person is awesome????
I typically do not reblog these sorts of posts, but as a fellow grad student, I feel your pain! Please take a look if you’re in need of an editor / some one to practice languages with / translator / COMPOSER??
jfc man be less talented will you